May 14, 2007

How do Parents of Singletons DO it?



Are we missing something here? Why is it that everybody widens their eyes or gasps at the thought of twins, let alone triplets (too bad we don't have quads or quints to really get people frazzled)? Parents who have had four and more children close in age will wave their hands at us to dismiss such a horrible thought. It's funny to here them say we have our hands full. Even parents of multiples will describe endless chaos and misery that have left them exhausted and teary (albeit happy and grateful. . . I guess?). Is there something we should know? Does life suddenly fall apart into 911 mode at a magic age or should it have hit by now? I guess we'll brace ourselves but so far I don't see the big deal. What did we do with our time before three babies? Americans love to brag how busy their lives are and on the verge. Triplets are the way to go although I'm not prejudiced against singletons.

Really, I don't know HOW parents deal with singletons, I mean, how DO they do it (what is it?)? How do they ever get anything done with just one baby? They must have their hands full. . .

We're no saints and the babies get their "night mads" among other things, but I'm not so sure our lives are more chaotic or hectic than families without multiples. I'm not even sure life is harder post-adoption. . . just different. Triplets are not like having thirty babies as one mom suggested and possibly not exactly like 3x one baby, if that makes sense. Although throw in a colicky baby or more and then I can see where it gets scary. Guess we lucked out with three super babies.

My only regret is that they're all leaving babyhood together. They turn one next month and soon will be toddlers. What will we do without triplet babies. . .how will we manage without moments like these. . .



12 comments:

D said...

Hey! Quit giving me baby-urges with these adorable pictures!

I think having 2 kids in my house was easier than 1.
a) They don't require me to play with/entertain them as much because they have each other.
b) One is (almost) always ready to tattle when the other is getting into something he shouldn't.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

They are absolutely adorable children!

Jenn said...

yay an update! your family are celebrities at this house. :-) your happy and relaxed outlook is so encouraging. and your boys... beautiful... as ever!

lara said...

My son was an easy baby so we decided to try for another and had twins, yes there were times when i felt i was going to fall apart but i wouldnt change a thing its a learning curve.would i do it again , oh yes .

The Elliott Family said...

Not that this has anything to do with multiples, but your boys are the best looking babies! They are absolutely perfect, as I am sure that you know!

I can't imagine the comments that you'll get or are getting. My boys are 2 1/2 and 4, with a sister, 20 mos, on her way next month, and WE give people the chills! I always tell them that we are "rip the band-aid off" kind of people, so it works for us. I am sure at some point in our lives, sleep will come again!

Please keep blogging...I love to read and keep up with the boys!

cathy said...

OK--Just for fun, the next time you go to the grocery store (or wherever) with all 3 boys, put a fake cast on your leg. Limp around and put on a sad face, and THEN see how much empathy, gasping, clutching of the heart you'll see. C'mon! Try it!!! I'm glad you are having such a good time with your kids.

Susy Q said...

Every time I visit this blog I'm amazed by how well-adjusted your boys seem- and how adorable they are!!!! They must be so fun to have.

-Susanna
Big Sis to two bio brothers and one sister from Ethiopia (eagerly waiting to get her!)
http://www.bigsisdiaries.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

Thanks for the comments everybody! I love and appreciate every comment I've gotten so far! Still waiting for one mean one, I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Cathy, that is hilarious!!! I LOVE it!!!!! Maybe Jerry and I should have a big fight in the parking lot on top of it.

Chatter said...

I love your boys!! They are just too adorable Cindy. I may have to make a special trip to Kansas to see them. (It's Chandra from KC group). My little boy was just looking at pics going "ahhh... baby". Thanks for sharing your life with us. Keep it up!! Being the 5th of 11 children I've heard all the nasty comments too. But I usually let it bounce right off. Have fun!!

Hoffbeauty said...

Cindy, I'll have you know that yesterday at church, I met a woman who told me that she is the mother of 6 children, including a set of triplets! In your honor and with your words running through my head, I said, "Awesome!" rather than the dreaded "How did you manage?" or something silly like that! Aren't you proud of me? I mean, it IS awesome!!! She's a mama of triplets.....I love it!

-SarahH :)

jayme said...

Hi Cindy,

Your boys are growing up so quickly! I'm so impressed with your trip. travel with little ones is not easy!

I came across these shirts and immediately thought of you:

http://www.twinkle-kids.com/ROCKPAPERSCISSORSTRIPLETTSHIRT.html

I wish I had triplets!

Hope you're well

Jana said...

so sweet!!!! putting you on my sidebar. :)