Nov 6, 2009

Look Ma, No Strings

I've got no strings
To hold me down
To make me fret, or make me frown
I had strings
But now I'm free
There are no strings on me
Hi-ho the me-ri-o
That's the only way to go
I want the world to know
Nothing ever worries me
Hi-ho the me-ri-o
I'm as happy as can be
I want the world to know
Nothing ever worries me

-Pinocchio

Everyday, many times a day, for at least the last year I think, although frequency has grown, Tsega starts scurrying around the house in search of socks and shoes (the socks are as necessary as the shoes). If he wants shoes, I know what's coming. He needs to dance! If he's wearing pants, I assist in rolling the legs up as high as they'll go, or we get him into a pair of short shorts. Now, costume complete, he's ready for his Big Number: I got no Strings, from Pinocchio. Lately we've been dancing with video because I was curious how closely he follows the choreography. And he's sticking as closely as he can with Pinocchio's movements, falling down at all the right times and everything. It's not like he ever asks to watch this rather dark but musically-rich movie (Geppetto could really use some lessons in attachment parenting, BTW), he just wants to sing and dance so we watch the musical numbers feature. A whole lot.

Oh, here come the eye rolls. Here's the my-kid-is-so-cute-and-talented post. A post only a mother could love. Gag. But he is talented, my darlings; dancer, singer, actor. No lie. So last night I finally captured a savory piece on video and of course, had to give my baby an audience. An appreciative one, we hope :). It's long, shaky (especially when Sira jumped on my back), with noisy background, and times when Pinocchio is idle, but there are seconds of adorable and amazing turns. So focused he keeps going when Bereket throws toys on the floor. The show must go on!
More, you want more, more peese? An encore performance this morning! This time I tried to capture the TV and T in one shot so you can see matching dancers, even both scratching their one leg with the other at same time. Ahhh, the cuteness of toddlers and their annoying blogging mothers. Bravo.

15 comments:

Sam's mom said...

Holy Crap Cindy! this is incredible! He is really spot-on with a lot of the moves. Maybe he's ready to be a chorus dancer like his mama?
And when the rest of the bunch joined in? Well, let's just say it looked more like kick boxing. T is truly the dancer out of the bunch.

Hippie at Heart said...

That was one of the cutest things I have ever seen! The little side-to-side butt wag had me cracking up. I felt your dog could have shown a little more enthusiasm for the kick-butt performance though. :)

paige said...

Wowza! he is fabulouso. A seriously well-studied performance, complete with hsi own flourishes--what could be better than that?

Christina said...

what a hoot, and so so CUTE! Nice skills, there.

abaco said...

That was friken great! Thanks for sharing it.

Dianne said...

Love his green shoes, I see why he wants to wear Crocs for his performance as they do look like P.'s shoes. Throw in a few hip hop moves and he's ready for So You Think You Can Dance :)

Jennifer said...

The boy is meant for the stage, no doubt about it. Amazing his attention to all the little moves, just amazing.

jayme said...

Fantastic! One of these days we will get your three and my two together for the dance party of the century!

Dianne said...

I just watched it again and it's hilarious how he keeps on dancing in the first video despite all of the obstacles his brothers present. And in the second one, the dog sleeping through it all, priceless! (Love Tsega's Sponge Bob shorts from Grandma Di too :)

Unknown said...

TOO cute! Loved it!

Unknown said...

Excellent! Thanks for sharing it. He is a star!

The Stephensons said...

That is too cute! Thanks for sharing his priceless moment.

Stacy said...

seriously really really cute and amazing. He's amazing. Isn't it incredible the things they can focus on when so inclined?

Life in Fitzville said...

Thats amazing... cutest thing ever!

Life in Fitzville said...
This comment has been removed by the author.